CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Deadline: 5pm MST, April 25, 2023
SNAP (The Society of Northern Alberta-Print-Artists) and Travelling Exhibitions Northwest (TREX NW) invite applications from artists with aprintmaking practice who wish to work in the SNAP Printshop for a 4-week period to develop a new body of work. This body of work will go towards an exhibition at SNAP Gallery and on the TREX WALL. This visiting artist program is open to artists based in Northern Alberta who live outside of major centres such as Edmonton. The residency will take place during the month of July 2023 (unless otherwise negotiated).
SNAP is a Non-profit Artist-Run Centre in Edmonton, Alberta dedicated to the production, presentation and dissemination of Fine Art Printmaking and Contemporary Print Media. For more information about SNAP, visit our About section.
The Alberta Foundation for the Arts (AFA) has supported a provincial travelling exhibitions (TREX) program since 1981 to provide as many communities as possible across Alberta with the opportunity to see visual art exhibitions, and to share the collection of the Alberta Foundation for the Arts with the public. A provincially run program, TREX programs highlight the work of Alberta-based artists, helping to promote and encourage artistic careers in the province. The TREX program is host- ed by four different organizations across Alberta, who each manage the program for different region. TREXNW is hosted by the Art Gallery of Grande Prairie. For more information, visit aggp.ca
The Northern Alberta visiting artist residency will be selected by jury with representatives from both SNAP & the AGGP.
Visiting Artist Residency Program Includes:
- 24/7 access to the Printshop for a maximum 4 week consecutive
- A $4000.00 CAD artist fee (paid by TREX NW) upon completion of the residency
- A $500.00 CAD materials stipend (materials purchased must be used during residency & will be administered by SNAP staff)
- A maximum contribution of $2000.00 CAD accommodation support
- Contribution towards travel to and from Edmonton
- A future exhibition at SNAP and on the TREX WALL, using some of the works/techniques developed during the residency.
- Potential delivery by the artist of a public demonstration, lecture or workshop
- The opportunity for broad public engagement with the artist’s project and studio work
- Artist’s curriculum vitae
- 10-20 jpegs with corresponding image list
- A written project proposal of work to be completed during residency
One print or artist proof from each edition printed during the residency must be provided to SNAP for retention in the print archive. The work produced during this residency must go towards the future TREX NW exhibition.
Submissions close at 5pm MST, April 25, 2023.
To apply please email your submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about this program, contact Curator/Manager Travelling Exhibitions Northwest, Jamie-Lee Cormier: email@example.com
Congrats to last years Resident Artist, Carolyn Gerk! She will be having a Travelling Exhibition this coming September titled, Otherhood.